[rescue] Solid Impact I2

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Oct 7 15:23:33 CDT 2002

"Shawn Wallbridge" <swallbridge at franticfilms.com> wrote...

> Is a Solid Impact I2 without memory/hd/cd worth $40 plus ~$50 shipping?
> I can't decide. It's pretty beat up, but it's cheap.

By the time you fit it out, it wont be cheap, though.

If it's got no sleds, there's somewhere from $30-$150 or more, depending on
vendor and luck.  Some of the on-line used-SGI vendors want huge sums for
them.

Middle-sized 50-pin SCSI disks are cheap.  I just bought a 5-pack of
refurbed IBM 4.5 gig drives from HDoutlet off eBay for $50, including
shipping.

Finding a suitable CD-ROM (i.e. one that will do audio-over-SCSI in true SGI
fashion) will either be tedious or expensive.

72-pin memory is easy to come by, but not as cheap as it was when that was
"The Size".

Personally, has I my I2 purchase to do over again, I'd hold out for the
top-drawer CPU and graphics, and a complete system, at that.  Of course that
way you just get a nice computer, and miss the fun of scrounging parts for
it....

-Shel