[rescue] Solaris 86 on non-HCL hardware

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 6 08:27:40 CDT 2002

--- "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:

> What's the chance of installing Solaris86 7 on this thing?  The box
> isn't on the HCL, but the SCSI card, and Adaptec 1740, is, and I
> expect I could find a compatible NIC around here.  I have no idea
> what the video is, since it's on the motherboard, but it can't be
> too weird, being a 1993 box. It's got a SCSI CD-rom drive, a
> Toshiba 5701B, and six SCSI drives in it (2x1gig,
> 2x4gig, 2x4.5gig).  72 megs of RAM.

OK

> So ... do you think it will work?  Any major gotchas I need to be
> aware of?

Should work - I think the real concern with Solaris x86 is the I/O
devices, and as you say, the SCSI is supported, a NIC will be found,
and the video is most likely straight-forward VGA/SVGA - Solaris x86 is
picky about these items...

P60 - aren't they *slower* than, say, a 486/100?

Lionel

=====
Lionel

http://faith.yahoo.com