[rescue] Solaris 86 on non-HCL hardware

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Oct 5 22:55:12 CDT 2002

Folks-

My son wants to build a file server, so, rather than buy something I
"rescued" an old DEC xP500 from our own dead-line.  Before you get too
excited, it's a Pentium 60 PeeCee.  An expensive Pentium 60 PeeCee,
something like US$15,000 in 1993, but a Pentium 60 PeeCee none-the-less.  It
has an early P60 with the floating point error, so I'm keeping it around as
a collector's item.

Since Windows 2000 can't be convinced to install itself on the machine,
feigning ignorance of the SCSI disk controller, I thought I'd try Solaris
86, since I have it on CD and have some Solaris knowledge.

What's the chance of installing Solaris86 7 on this thing?  The box isn't on
the HCL, but the SCSI card, and Adaptec 1740, is, and I expect I could find
a compatible NIC around here.  I have no idea what the video is, since it's
on the motherboard, but it can't be too weird, being a 1993 box.  It's got a
SCSI CD-rom drive, a Toshiba 5701B, and six SCSI drives in it (2x1gig,
2x4gig, 2x4.5gig).  72 megs of RAM.

All he wants it to do is serve files to Windows boxes, so it would be
running Samba and as little else as could be arranged.

So ... do you think it will work?  Any major gotchas I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

-Shel

--
Sheldon T. Hall