[rescue] systems with user modifiable microcode.

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Oct 2 16:13:05 CDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 04:57:54PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 04:57:42PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Kinda like the sparc tagged data, huh?  I still haven't seen anyone
> > putting it to good use.
>
> I thought the sparc tagged data was used in some older LISP
> implementations?

I've seen discussion of it, but never any implementations.  One issue is
that it makes it a bugger to inter-operate with existing C code since
the pointers will be wrong, and the numbers funky.  Not that it couldn't
be made to work, I just haven't seen any examples of it being done that
way.

To my understanding, LISP and smalltalk were what they had in mind when
creating the tagged data instructions.

--
Joshua D. Boyd