[rescue] SGI I2 Impact rather cheap on eBay

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Oct 2 10:33:04 CDT 2002

Matthew Haas <wedge at lightlink.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Same here, as long as it works on a Sun amchine, it should work on an
> > SGI machine - at least in my experience.  Nary a problem, as long as you
> > set the sector size correctly.
> >

>  Are you talking about CD-ROMs or hard drives? Don't both Suns & SGIs use
> 512-byte blocks on their hard drives? (I thought only some IBM machines
> used some odd-ball 520- or 480-byte block size, everyone else was pretty
> uniform).

I was writing of CDROMS, but then it hit me that you were talking about hard
drives - which is still just as puzzling.  I've used all manner of hard
drives in all sizes in my SGIs.  You just have to be sure to excercise the
disk before you do *anything* - if it previously came from a non-sgi
machine.  Other than that, no worries, and nothing wierd ever happened.  I
did have a drive once that I knew was old and crusty, but tried it in an
Indigo anyway just for shits and giggles.  It did, of course, fail the disk
check.  Another machine took the drive fine, but the drive suffered a sever
failure not long afterward.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com