[rescue] SGI I2 Impact rather cheap on eBay

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Wed Oct 2 09:04:28 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> >    What?!  No way.  I've put dozens (literally) of completely random
> > SCSI drives in Indigo^2 and Indy machines with excellent
> > results...Never a problem.  I'm quite sure that NONE of them had
> > SGI-related firmware.
> >

> Same here, as long as it works on a Sun amchine, it should work on an SGI
> machine - at least in my experience.  Nary a problem, as long as you set the
> sector size correctly.

 Are you talking about CD-ROMs or hard drives? Don't both Suns & SGIs use
512-byte blocks on their hard drives? (I thought only some IBM machines
used some odd-ball 520- or 480-byte block size, everyone else was pretty
uniform).

---
 Matthew Haas           Squirrel's Law #209203923: "Thou shalt ignoreth
 Corning/Geneseo, NY       all RAM specifications, they're noo scottish"