[rescue] The aesthetics of rescue

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Oct 2 09:33:43 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 10:26 AM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>   You're absolutely right...I'm talking about "real" Auspex servers,
>> not their great big PCs running NT with crappy software.
>>
>>   But then again, I haven't taken NetApp seriously since they went
>> back
>> to PCs from real hardware either.
>
> Well, at least the rest of the hardware sounds decent except for the
> P4s.  And everyone raves about the software, which is NOT windows NT
> based (or so we are led to believe.

   No, the new Auspex servers are NT based, not the NetApps.  I hung out
with a few Auspex field techs a couple of years ago; they vented loudly
about the Same
Old Suit Story...a bunch of suits overran their company and replaced
all the real computers with PCs and NT.  Every one of them quit, at
least two of them went to work for NetApp, who was making Alpha-based
machines at the time.

   "Real" Auspex machines will continue to serve NFS requests from
existing mounts even if the host processor crashes and is sitting at a
prompt.

          -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke