[rescue] The aesthetics of rescue

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Oct 2 09:23:29 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 10:13 AM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>   Bullshit...I've used several of both and run them side by side, and
>> while NetApps are really great machines, Auspexes (of similar
>> generations) kick the snot out of them.
>>
>>   There's no substitute for dedicated hardware and distributed
>> processing.
>
>> From my understanding, the only reason you can hold that opinion so
>> hard
> is because you refuse to acknowledge that the new machines labels
> auspex
> are really auspexs.  From what I've heard, newer Auspexs (like when
> they
> went to NT instead of the custom sparc stuff) aren't as nice as
> NetApps.
>
> But, I could be wrong.  Except I think I heard that from you.  I never
> have such nice toys around to play with/use/lay eyes upon.

   You're absolutely right...I'm talking about "real" Auspex servers,
not their great big PCs running NT with crappy software.

   But then again, I haven't taken NetApp seriously since they went back
to PCs from real hardware either.

         -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke