[rescue] AlphaServer 1000A

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu May 30 00:38:49 CDT 2002

> > Today's rescue was an AlphaServer 1000A 5/333.  The system
> > came with 256MB of RAM, a DE500, a KZPSC, a PB2GA, three
> > RZ1CB (4.3GB UW) and one RZ26 (1.0GB narrow) SBBs, and an
> > RRD46.  Not too bad for $150.
>
> Nice rescue. EV5 too...
> Just don't forget to push the DE500 away from (the lacking)
> Auto-negotiation.

I've never had a problem with DE500 cards and autonegotiation.

> Check the backplane, is it split? Is the PZPSC either one or three
> channel?

The backplane is split.  I don't have the jumper to configure
it as a single bus.

The KZPSC has three channels.  I'm going to remove it as I
don't care for having to switch to AlphaBIOS mode to configure
the drives.  I've got a set of dual-redundant HSZ50 controllers
that I will use instead.

> Too bad it's not UW-SCSI (Just Fast/Wide SCSI-2), but the 7200rpm
> Wide-drives would probably be sufficient for this system anyway. :-)

I've got an U2W SCSI controller that I can use with the two
U2W drives from my PWS500au.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net