[rescue] Sun-Seagate drive firmware

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 29 11:43:06 CDT 2002

> Is Sun in the habit of loading their OEM drives with
> non-standard firmware?

The only thing non-standard that I've ever found about
most Sun OEM drive firmware is the ID string--for example
on the 2.1GB drives in my SS20 the drives get ID'd as
something like "SUN2.1GB"...which is actually convenient.

The ST19171WC Sun OEM drives I've received have always
worked in other systems.  The only really odd Sun firmware
I've ever seen were some ST31200WC drives, which look like
1.2 GB drives at the OBP level on regular Sun boxes, but
need a special SCSI bus reset in order to start working...
and the only system I have which properly generates the
reset is the box these were (supposedly) originally spec'd
for:  an E3K.

  --Rip