[rescue] OT: looking for 900Mhz wireless cards (pre-802.11b)

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Tue May 28 21:08:57 CDT 2002

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:

> I have a need for both ends of a point to point link using 900Mhz
> wireless.  I can buy the antennas but need the actual radios.

I've got a pair of "Webgear Aviator" 900MHz wireless units. They suck so
bad it hurts. However, if you want to wire in new antennae to try to
improve performance, you're welcome to make the attempt. I have had them
working, but the range as-is made them next to useless for me. i had to
be sitting in the same room, and I decided I'd rather just make a really
*long* cat-5. It gives me better range.

They have a paralel interface.

I paid $40 for the pair. Unfortunately, no software, or known support. I
fooled around with Linux wireless crap in the kernel (packet radio), and
had it working at a good 1-2Mb/s but both machines are gone without a
trace, so you'll have to recreate all my work from scratch.

I don't think it's worth it, but you may.

---sambo