[rescue] HAL computer systems SL/100R

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue May 28 21:59:30 CDT 2002

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> It's not just Debian, all the BSDs seem to be calling it that way also.
>
> And, to be fair, it's clearer than v9 (versus v8 or v7) is to the
> uninitiated.
>
> I think the biggest reason it came about is that SPARC64 is rather obscure,
> and the hobbyists who started the ports hadn't heard about it, so why
> not call it SPARC64?

Because it's a registered trademark?  Because Fujitsu still sells and
supports SPARC64GP boxes?  Because a single search would have told them
that the term was already in use?

Dave Miller certainly knew what SPARC64 meant.  My comments on the
SPARC-Linux mailing list circa 1996 should still be available.

I guess I expect too much.

-James