[rescue] HAL computer systems SL/100R

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue May 28 12:39:00 CDT 2002

On Tue, 28 May 2002, James Lockwood wrote:

> SPARC64 is the arch used by the older HALstations, also manufactured by
> HAL Computer Systems.  It was the first 64-bit SPARC architecture.  I do
> not know if Debian is using the term to denote Sun's 64-bit SPARC
> implementation, which is technically known as SPARC V9.

It's not just Debian, all the BSDs seem to be calling it that way also.

And, to be fair, it's clearer than v9 (versus v8 or v7) is to the
uninitiated.

I think the biggest reason it came about is that SPARC64 is rather obscure,
and the hobbyists who started the ports hadn't heard about it, so why
not call it SPARC64?

--Kurt