[rescue] AXe v AXi

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue May 28 11:21:55 CDT 2002

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> It's a shame the clone machines marketed as U10's but were built with the AXi
> didn't do better since they are a truely better machine. I have a Tatung AXi
> and love it. In fact Iam thinkinh of putting it back up instead of this
> FSCKing Linux box.

The single biggest plus or minus for the AXi is how the chassis is
designed.  Had Sun put them in U30 style boxes I think they would have
kicked some serious ass.

> James, a question. I have a 2D Creator in the AXi presently. Would I be
> better off with a Raptor? (I have one sitting on the shelf)

Not unless you really need the higher resolutions that the Raptor offers
(I assume you're referring to the PGX32).  Even the Creator2D wipes the
floor with it speedwise both due to more bandwidth and better drivers.

Off to go OD on more cold meds.

-James