[rescue] Raised floor - first shots of installation...

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun May 26 14:21:03 CDT 2002

[ On Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 23:29:01 (-0400), Torquil MacCorkle III wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Raised floor - first shots of installation...
>
> I am sure this has been addressed in previous discussions. But, just what
> benefits does raised floor have? (Simply the ability to hide cables under
> the floor?)

Not in my book!  Never hide cables under the floor, especially not a
mess of data cables.  If you're 100% sure it can never get wet under
there (either water, or something else, such as acid from a battery
plant), then it's OK to put basic power distribution under a raised
floor, but watch out for too much clutter accumulating.

The big benefit of raised floor is distribution of cooling air.  It can
be vented directly up into cabinets through their floors, and it can be
exhausted through perforated tiles on whichever side of a rack or
cabinet has equipment air intakes.

--
								Greg A. Woods