[rescue] Ultra 5/10/30 value/comments

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri May 24 15:43:49 CDT 2002

> Or if anyone has a Ultra 5/10/30 that they would like to sell and give a
> good home, I'm your man! My price range is 250-450 USD.
>
> Any comments or thoughts is appreciated :-)

IMO: an Ultra-30 is one of the best workstations going.  Very capable,
and if you get a Creator version, it has a UPA slot.  I don't kow if and
Ultra-10 has one, I'm fairly sure that an Ultra-5 doesn't.  This means
that you can run a very nice framebuffer in there.  A U-30 can only
handle a single proc, but don't hold that against it - if you need dual
proc, get an Ultra-60.  It also takes SCA drives which are becoming much
more inexpensive as each week passes.  They use spud brackets, so
swapping disks is simple and straightforward.

The Ultra-5 is a flaming piece of crap - in my estimation.  MY Ultra-1
is far more useable.  THe Ultra-10 is forgivable, but not really by
much.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com