[rescue] Ultra 5/10/30 value/comments

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Fri May 24 14:03:07 CDT 2002

>Hello everyone. I'm thinking of getting myself a Ultra 5/10/30 for my
>personal workstation, but I would like to get some comments from more
>experienced users first. :) I guess my question would be, which one is
>the best to get? I know Ultra 5 and 10 has IDE. Which means I can just
>plug in my bigger ide drive (maxtor 40gig), is that true?. What about
>Ultra 30?

The U30 has a single UW scsi channel shared between internal and
external drives.  It also has 64bit PCI (one 66mhz even).  If you go
for the 5/10 go for the 10 as the UPA slot is useable on that box. (
the 5 has the slot on the board but not in the case and its a bitch
to modify)  The IDE on the 5/10 is considered to be relatively slow.

>By the way! Does a Ultra 5 with 270/128RAM/4G HD/FD/CD for $250 USD
>sounds good? I could maybe replace it with a 400, add in a couple RAM,
>change the drive to a bigger one and add a DVD drive?

For all that work, you'd be better off buying one with all that built in.

>Or if anyone has a Ultra 5/10/30 that they would like to sell and give a
>good home, I'm your man! My price range is 250-450 USD.

Ultra 10s are well within that range as are Ultra 30s.  I would avoid
the Ultra 5.

daniel
"Yay aytch lich ... trurtreen oven prerkrershetch... naw lich luleven
... naw wush thrurteen..."
--"Thirteen fucking percosets?!?! Dude the most I ever ate was like
six. Holy shit."
"Aywhirr schmall."
--"What, like 5's?"
"Mm mm mm... mebee..."