[rescue] OT: can a tape device be mounted?

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Wed May 22 14:07:17 CDT 2002

>     Steve> I had had a similar thought a while back relating to mp3
>     Steve> files and a 8gb 8mm tape. )That would play for a while,
>     Steve> eh?) I was going to use a buffering program called "bag"
>     Steve> that helped us buffer input from a ncpfs-mounted Netware
>     Steve> server when we backed it up to the 8mm drive on a Linux
>     Steve> box.
>
>     Steve> Sorry, but that's as far as I got. ;) I thought that
>     Steve> something like dd would read the tape, pipe the output to
>     Steve> bag which would then pipe the output to a command-line mp3
>     Steve> player....
>

> why that sounds like...
>
> a DAT audio tape drive.

Some of us don't have DAT but do have 8mm.

Although 2/4gig DAT drives are kinda cheap.  Any idea which model
_won't_ do audio streaming?  (I know some manufacturers made ROMs
specifically to prevent this.)

*smacks forehead*

Duh!  Forgot the subject was mp3s - streaming native audio is not the issue.

Wouldn't ufsdump/restore work?

1) Ufsdump the files to tape.
2) Setup a blank restore directory.
3) Write the first script that does a ufsrestore from a non-rewind tape
device.  Run this when you want to play mp3s.
4) Write a second script that runs in the background checking to see if
the restore directory is empty and playing anything that appears there.
5) Have the second script delete a file it's finished playing.

Kinda a Rube-Goldberg way of doing things, and disk intensive to-boot,
but it could work.

Then again I have a way of missing simpler solutions.

Mike Hebel