[rescue] OT: can a tape device be mounted?

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.helsinki.fi
Wed May 22 11:10:15 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:28:41AM +0900, Guy Yasko wrote:
>     Steve> I had had a similar thought a while back relating to mp3
>     Steve> files and a 8gb 8mm tape. )That would play for a while,
>     Steve> eh?) I was going to use a buffering program called "bag"
>     Steve> that helped us buffer input from a ncpfs-mounted Netware
>     Steve> server when we backed it up to the 8mm drive on a Linux
>     Steve> box.
>
>     Steve> Sorry, but that's as far as I got. ;) I thought that
>     Steve> something like dd would read the tape, pipe the output to
>     Steve> bag which would then pipe the output to a command-line mp3
>     Steve> player....
> why that sounds like...
> a DAT audio tape drive.

When I last had that idea (or something like that) it was on
Linux/Alpha. On it at least you could just mpg123 /dev/fd0 and play off
a floppy (if changing tracks mid-floppy, it wouldn't change the
frequence...) or off /dev/nst0 for example. You could even use tar to
cram the files on the device :)

--
We're sysadmins. To us, data is a protocol-overhead.
		-- Tanuki the Raccoon-dog, in the Monastery