[rescue] StarOffice 6 Released! Oh, wait, Nevermind... (was:Solaris 9 released)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed May 22 14:04:17 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:57:55PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:
> On this topic of (not)paying for software-- There's a company called gobe,
> used to do BeOS exclusively, but are now marketing their offic suite
> "productive" (nice name, gobe productive) for Windows and Linux.  Not open
> source, but their license is beautiful.  It is a per-user license, so if
> you buy their product you can put it on all your home machines, and they
> even include a certificate to show the PHB for one machine at work.  And
> the price is supposed to be ~$125, introed at ~$75.  These are the guys who
> wrote Claris Works, which I really like.  But anyway, I wish this kind of
> licensing would catch on in the proprietary software world.

I don't want per user license.  If it caught on, how would I ever afford
to allow my wife and kids (assuming that I get me some of both some day)
to use my machines?  Its bad enough having to cough up for one copy per
machine, since I don't care to have most packages on more than one, maybe
two machines.

--
Joshua D. Boyd