[rescue] OT: can a tape device be mounted?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 22 11:15:09 CDT 2002

>     Steve> Sorry, but that's as far as I got. ;) I thought that
>     Steve> something like dd would read the tape, pipe the output to
>     Steve> bag which would then pipe the output to a command-line mp3
>     Steve> player....
>

> why that sounds like...
>
> a DAT audio tape drive.

Hmm...this is almost meandering back on topic.  I have
an old SGI-firmware Seagate/Conner/Archive DAT drive...
which according to searches supports audio-over-SCSI.
I've never bothered to try to get it working for audio,
though, since I have no method of recording DAT audio
to it.

It doesn't seem as though audio-over-SCSI would be useful
anymore if what I'm playing is MP3s, since the conversion
to audio would happen in the CPU and not in the tape
drive.  However, I would also be interested in being
able to play MP3s from a DAT drive, since my R3K Indigo
is currently planned to become an MP3 kiosk in our lab...

  --Rip (and yes, these are my own MP3s from CDs I own,
	not for trading or riling up the RIAA.)