[rescue] erwin

frank php at mundo-r.com
Tue May 21 17:16:34 CDT 2002

hello everybody, i am just like lost.
i enjoy userfriendly.org, a lot, i really like it. for my regular work
(php-postgresql-linux) i use amd (a workstation). recently i get
interested in cpu's because my boss gave me a budget to buy new servers.
so i start to see different hardware than the usual x86. i start
thinking about ppc 8 a mac), then about sparc, then about crusoe. i have
choose amd xp. cause we gonna use redhat (i preffer debian(ppc,sparc,
etc)).
well
recently i start to get intereste in AI. so i said "hum, i would like to
build something like Erwin ( www.userfriendly.org ). so i asked my self,
what hardware?", and i think SGI it's great. then i start to the prices
for an octane2 and i reconsider it. but, how fasta can be a $ 20k
workstation?
so i try to find some benchmarks, most of them shows x86 like faster.
well. my question is,

it's a good idea buy an used octane to run code in C (my AI project)?.
(stupid idea?)
how good idea is to buy a fuel (great name) workstation for my AI
project?

it's good idea to run a web server in sgi? (old or new?)

how fast it's a fuel workstation if you comapre it with AMD XP, SPARC or
PPC?

too much questions?. don't know. just answer what ever you want.

i am happy to find this list. thanks to everybody.

pd: i already read the archives (part of them).

--
Frank
?>