[rescue] IRIX software question

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Fri May 17 08:46:38 CDT 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 03:01:02PM +1200, ghub005 at xtra.co.nz wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I've been offered a great collection of used (and unused) IRIX system software from a non-unix-user friend in the US. Aside from full IRIX media kits for 5.3, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, and 6.5 the collection apparently includes the following media (I say apparently because it hasn't been delivered yet):
>
> ONC3/NFS VERSION 2 AND 3 FOR 6.2,6.3,6.4,
> SNMP ACCESS TO HP-UX MIB 1.1.2 FOR IRIX 6.2,6.3,6.4 AND 6.5,
> FREEWARE 2.0,
> DESKTOP SPECIAL EDITION 1.1,
> IRIX 5.3 ALL INDIGO2 IMPACT,
> OCTANE SYSTEM DISK PATCHES 4/98,
> IRIX 6.2 APPLICATIONS MAY 96,
> 6.2,6.3 AND 6.4 RECOMMENDED/REQUIRE PATCHES,
> 6.5 DEVELOPMENT LIBRARIES,
> 6.5 FOUNDATION 1 AND 2,
> IRIX 6.5 INSTALLATION TOOLS 98,
> IRIX 6.4 APPLICATIONS,
> IRIX 6.5 BASE DOCUMENTATION 98,
> IRIX 6.5 DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION,
> IRIX 6.5.4 OVERLAYS 99,
> IRIX DEVELOPMENT OPTION 5.3,
> NETWORK FILE SYSTEM 5.3,
> PATCH SG 0000466,
> IRIX 5.3 CURRENT PATCHS,
> EXPLORE TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGIES FOR SILICON GRAPHICS HOT MIX 18,
> IRIX 6.2 DEVELOPMENT LIBRARIES,
> IRIX 6.4 APPLICATIONS,
> OCTANE DEMOS 1.1 FOR 6.4,
>
> Since I'm not hugely familiar with IRIX distributions, I'm basically just curious to know if there is anything that is particularly unusual or interesting in the above list.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gavin

Gavin:

Don't see anything particularly unusual in that list, although for people
who need older distributions there are some nice things:

ONC3/NFS VERSION 2 AND 3 FOR 6.2,6.3,6.4
NETWORK FILE SYSTEM 5.3:

 - NFS for IRIX was bundled seperately prior to v. 6.5, so this is good to
   have if you have to run 5.3, 6.2-6.4 due to hardware compatibility reasons

IRIX DEVELOPMENT OPTION 5.3:

 - IDO is the compilers, etc. for 5.3.  Pretty sure you've got to have a
   license for this, although I thought I saw something about SGI giving
   it away for the old versions now??

However, these aren't all that uncommon...

Now, uncommon is the 4DDN 5.3 that I've got sitting at home.  DECNet for
IRIX, shudder...We used to run that "back in the day" to keep our SGIs
hooked up to our OpenVMS Alpha 1.5 Alphas and VMS 5.5-2 VS3100s...Then we
hit OpenVMS Alpha 6.2 and "discovered" the joys of UCX...

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions