[rescue] IBM on ebay

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Thu May 16 21:00:46 CDT 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> > > 1.  66Mhz processor scares most people away (Look, Myrtle...
> > >     someone wants to sell a computer "slower" than my PDA!)
> >
> > Like hell.  That 66MHz turns in 10.4 specFP95 (that's roughly
> > comparable to a 175MHz mips R10000, a 200MHz UltraSparc or a
> > 350MHz Pentium II).  Int perf is lower but it's still no slouch.
>
> Umm...that's why I put "slower" in _quotes_.  The bigger brother of
> this box, to which I was referring, supported > 100 simultaneous users
> in a Navy library in Mississippi until not so long ago... actually it
> might still be there.  It had even migrated from supporting VT220-type
> users to also allowing web-based access to the card catalog and
> library admin functions, IIRC.

This thing doesn't have many *bigger* brothers.  Plenty of smaller
brothers.  This machine would have little trouble with 100+ users.

Any idea what model?

> The original question was why the price was so low.  I still stand by
> my statement that to the average eBay buyer, this system *must* appear
> slow...since we all _know_ that the speed of a computer is simply a
> function of MHz, right?

LOL

Peace...  Sridhar

--
"How do you fight such a savage?"

"With heart, faith, and steel.  There can be only one."
	-MacLeod and Ramirez, "Highlander"