[rescue] IBM on ebay

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue May 14 10:04:29 CDT 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > Hercules is neat, but I dont have a Linux box to run it on.
>
> If you can get around the licensing problems, then buying a cheap pc with
> lots of ram and a fast processor is an easy way to get into Hercules.
> It will run on windows and Linux, and if you use the box for nothing else,
> you can get a decent Linux system running pretty quickly.

Add to this: while Hercules is not "plug and play" on non-Linux Unices, it
is reasonably easy to port (or at least it was a couple of years ago).  I
compiled 1.40 (if memory serves) under Solaris 2.6 with only a dozen or so
tweaks.  I haven't tried a more recent version, but I'd be happy to try to
port again if I have time and there's interest.

> The licensing problem is that IBM will not license anything to run on
> Hercules. You either have to use old "free" (as in no cost) systems
> or have a license to use them for a "real" computer and then you may be
> able to use them for testing or disaster recovery purposes.

Hence MVT or similar.

-James