[rescue] old thread new thread

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Mon May 13 01:04:44 CDT 2002

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> I can't really take back what I said about the beeyotch, since they
> are still dumping Tru64 and the whole purpose of the merger was to
> line her and other senior exec's pocketbooks.
>
> Maybe HPUX will eventually get better.

Well, from what I've seen BEFORE the merger, the discussion was that
since they're porting HP-(s)UX to Itanium, involving Tru64s features
into it would make it so far difficult that they'd produce "A New UNIX"
from the two flavours. That versus "porting HP-UX to Itanium" seems to
me like two completely different statements.
OK, OSes like AIX 4.x and 5L is very different from eachother from what
I've heard. Looking at MacOS 8.x and MacOS X shows a COMPLETELY new OS
from the bottom up. Why stick with old names? Marketing? Probably.
But, the important question, will HP-(s)UX 12.x/13.x/14.x/whatever be "A
New UNIX" in the same way as the above mentioned?

Programming HP-UX is, from what I've heard, a complete nightmare.
Programming UNIX in general (Linux, *BSD, Tru64, SGI and others) doesn't
apply to programming HP-UX. It's sick, so why keep stumping on old
ground?
On a personal opinion, I'd love to see "remsh" go away. :-)

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB