[rescue] old thread new thread

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed May 8 23:03:31 CDT 2002

Now that the Hewlett Packard - Compaq merger is final, I thought I
would revisit an old thread:

Someone said that he was sorry to see VMS go...

[old stuff dredged up begins...]

>   Is it "going" somewhere?
>
>     -Dave

I replied...

Into the toilet, because DECpaq is being bought by a politically
correct beeyotch who screwed up Lucent and left before the damage
became apparent?

Now she gets the chance to squat over the graves of HP's founders and
unload the contents of her brains.

Everyone fawned over her, she even made the cover of Forbes magazine.
They didn't even mention the Lucent fiasco in their coverage.

Into the toilet, because Robert Palmer was a doody-head and the only
head of a major computer company to not understand enough about Bill
Gates to stay away from him?

Into the toilet, because Eckhard Pfeiffer wouldn't have known a decent
OS if it gave knelt down and gave him a Lewinsky?

Read the original press release announcing the acquisition.  Eckhard
is dizzy over DEC having profits, not over having bulletproof OSes
that they can use to deliver solutions for their customers.  Palmer is
in the press release, flapping his jaws over the wonders of NT!

rant off...
[old stuff dredged up ends]

What is tremendously weird is that VMS will be kept, and ported to
Itanium (and I assume that eventually the AMD chip will be supported
too given Compaq's relationship with AMD).

I can't really take back what I said about the beeyotch, since they
are still dumping Tru64 and the whole purpose of the merger was to
line her and other senior exec's pocketbooks.

Maybe HPUX will eventually get better.

Could it be, possibly, that NT/Win2K/XP is NOT the entire focus of the
company?

Could the Lucent failure, Palmer's failure, Belluzzo's failure (he was
at HP before going to SGI and wrecking that company before going to
MSFT and getting his incompetent butt cheeks handed to him on a
platter) etc. actually be causing the power-suited pearl-wearers and
perfumed princes to rethink things?

I will leave you with a quote:

"True hope dwells on the possible, even when life seems to be a plot
written by someone who wants to see how much adversity we can
overcome."

Discuss amongst yourselves...

./patrick