[rescue] Sun Blade 100 Question - IDE

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri May 10 09:01:44 CDT 2002

> I ask because I'm trying to evaluate what kind of performance hit one would
> take by configuring hardware RAID on these boxes. If both hard drives tend
> to share the same IDE channel, it seems like that would be a mitigating
> factor. I'm hoping sun has the sense to put the addidional hard drive on
> the same IDE channel as the CD-ROM.

AFAIK, the 'Blade 100 doesn't do hardware RAID.  To do RAID on a 'Blade
100, you'll need to add a RAID card, which is going to be SCSI, and
performance will generally *increase* when doing that.  Doing RAID on
most Suns also means that you've added an external box (there are
exceptions) as the space inside the case is limited for adding SCSI
internally...

If you mean simply adding a second disk, then I can't imagine the
performance hit would be too great - no matter what channel the drive
goes onto.  Since you're not doing RAID over IDE, you'll typically only
access one drive at a time for large data transfers.  It seems to me,
and I could be wrong, that performance should *increase* with the
addition of more spindles - I can't imagine it would *decrease*.  That
sounds like broken technology to me...

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."