[rescue] re: tsparc 170

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 10 00:51:54 CDT 2002

> How does the Tsparc compare with the Ultra 1/170?
Famous answer, of course: "it depends".

U1/170E is roughly 3x as fast on raw SPEC benchmarks
if both have 128MB memory...some of that is probably
due to faster disk subsystem etc.  My 170E (now a 200E)
"feels" faster than my SS20/dual SM71, which was
nominally just less than twice as fast as a TurboSPARC/170.

Let's put it this way--the way prices are dropping in
the "older" (non-current-product) Sun market, Ultra2/2300
systems will be under $200 by this time next year...and
everything older than that will be practically free (even
if it's still quite usable).  If I had an SS5/170, it would
be getting regular usage, although not daily.

  --Rip