[rescue] Energy

Kyle Webb kylewebb at beckman.uiuc.edu
Wed May 8 13:52:23 CDT 2002

At 07:15 PM 5/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>On Wed, 8 May 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > I'd rather get rid of it by burning it in our Sun rather than risk my 7
> > or 70'th generation relatives eventually tripping over it out there
> > somewhere.....
>
>It's getting it out of the Earth's atmosphere that is the
>dangerous/unreliable bit;  imagine if Challenger had taken off with a
>payload of nuclear waste...

Indeed. Flying it out would be hazardous. Bury it in a subduction zone
along a plate boundary (possibly in some stable ocean bottom). It'll get
taken down into the earth in time, and will be so diluted mixing with the
vast quantities of molten rock as to be no hazard. In the time it takes
before it gets back to the surface, the radioactivity will have decayed away.

Kyle Webb