[rescue] The end is one day nearer....

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 8 12:14:23 CDT 2002

This is all a good thing. IBM learned the hard way that when you try to put
R&D in a gilded cage you get nothing usefull. Boring products with no real
new ideas.

What this does is allow fresh new companies with fresh new ideas to spring
up and thrive. Oddly, Compaq was once just such a company. They rose up from
nothing and stole IBM's ideas and made them work.

Someone in HP realized this and started the "invent something" movement.
Sadly, it feels like this initiative doesn't have the full backing of the
exec staff/board.

The problem that companies suffer from is actually familiar to many of us.
You start out driving 10 year old Chevy's. Then you buy a 2 year old Chevy
and don't want to drive 10 year old Chevy's ever again. Then you buy a new
Toyota and don't want to drive used cars ever again. Then you buy a new BMW
and don't want to drive "family" cars ever again. Now you are in a position
where your income MUST remain at a certain level for life to be acceptable.
Now you are trapped. You do whatever it takes to insure your income remains
level. You don't take that job with the exciting but risky start-up with IPO
shares potential. You don't propose products/projects at work that are risky
because you will jepordize your job if they go bad.

Meanwhile, someone who doesn't mind driving 10 year old Chevy's will take
that job with the start-up. He will propose risky products/ideas because he
can get another job anywhere because his income requirements are low. The
start-up thrives on his new ideas, and his IPO shares make him rich (or,
post-dot-bomb, comfortable).