[rescue] Energy

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Wed May 8 00:59:21 CDT 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > > Or maybe we could just shove it all on a big space barge headed for the sun
> > > and incinerate it?
> >
> > Maybe another Sun, but I'd be concerned about how it might effect ours.
>
> Negligible effect.  The sun is, after all, one big cuclear reactor...

Not really, the Sun operates by fision, not fusion. Nuclear power plants
are really mislabeled, as there are many nuclear reactions (i.e. fusion in
the sun that radiate large amounts of energy) but that have nothing to do
with the actual decay/fision reactions that are used for current power
generator.

The easiest way of getting rid of nuclear waste, or any other waste for
that matter is to ship it to a random direction into space. As long as it
leaves terrestial orbit, the shitpile will hurdle through space for eons,
whith a chance of it hitting anything almost negligible.