[rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed May 8 00:29:26 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 10:20:34PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
> On Tue, 7 May 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>
> > i do the same thing, only i have one power meter.  my house and water are
> > heated by home heating oil (evil, but i rent, so what can i do) so really the
> > only things that draw power are the stove, the dryer and the lights.  and
> > compared to what my gear pulls?  i know it's a drop in the bucket. ;)
>
> Oil is actually one of the most efficient ways to heat, end to end, if
> you've got a clean burning high efficiency boiler.  Beats the heck out of
> electric and propane, and LPG is only useful and economical in certain
> circumstances.  Solar has advantages but it has disadvantages too.
>
> Dryers and electric stoves suck power.  You might be surprised at how much
> they consume if you run them regularly.

Stoves are a place to get what you feel works best for you, rather than what
is most energy efficient, in my opinion.  I personally think I'd prefer gas,
but I've only used electric all my life.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

Social Security - I have greater faith that Elvis is alive
and programming VAX assembler than that I will ever receive
a dime from it.  --  Patrick Giagnocavo