[rescue] Energy

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed May 8 00:00:09 CDT 2002

[ On Wednesday, May 8, 2002 at 00:07:59 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Energy
>
> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 12:04:12AM -0400, Eric Webb wrote:
> >
> > Isn't that what the moon is for?
>
> Yuck, not this moon.

Why the hell not?  It's far less inhabitable than even any
non-radioactive waste dump here on Earth.

and Space 1999 was just a television show.  I think we'd have to mine
the very core of the Earth to get enough radioactive material to cause a
accidental detonation on the moon that would be big enough to fling the
whole thing out of the Solar System!

> > Or maybe we could just shove it all on a big space barge headed for the sun
> > and incinerate it?
>
> Maybe another Sun, but I'd be concerned about how it might effect ours.

You could probably shove the whole friggin' Earth into the sun and it
wouldn't make any difference to the way it works or how long it would
last!  (so long as you did it gently, of course)  Do you not know how
big that sucker is?

It's almost impossible for any amount of glowing rock and debris we
could manage to send in that direction in the space of over 70
generations to make even the the tiniest dent in a single sun spot!

Indeed the whole Earth would fit snuggly in the average sun spot,
leaving lots of room for the Moon, Mars, its moons, Venus, Mercury, and
probably all the asteroids too.  Even Jupiter would look small up beside
the sun.

--
								Greg A. Woods