[rescue] Printing Blues

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue May 7 19:49:26 CDT 2002

I have a SPARCclassic running NetBSD.  This box is serving as a NAT box,
webcache, and print server (yes, it's an overloaded little beastie).   I
never did quite get CUPS to work properly.  It turns out that I misread
the NetBSD HCL, and the printer port on the 'classic isn't supported.
Not even in the most recent snapshot.  Grr.

It looks like my options are:
   1) Switch to Solaris (ugh!) or Linux (gak!) as the OS for the 'classic.
   2) Obtain that weird-o parallel cable for the Octane and deal with the
      potential nightmare of ripping apart Impressario and squeezing CUPS
      into its place.
   3) Get a Real Printer[1] with PostScript and Ethernet to replace the
      HP LaserJet 6L.
   4) Fix the driver and become a hero.

#4 would be the winner in a perfect world, but I'm strapped for time at
the moment.  I'd be grateful for any suggestions.  If anyone's got a
LaserJet [56]MP with network option lying about collecting dust, I'd be
grateful for that, too. ;)

--Jonathan
[1] I don't think JetDirect is an option, since the printer speaks PCL,
    and one doesn't print PCL from IRIX without having the use something
    like CUPS/Ghostscript -anyway-.