[rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue May 7 19:34:08 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 05:11:32PM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> Hello, I'm completely mad!  :-)

you are among friends.  we're all mad.

[snip collection]

nice.

> Now, in a fit of insanity, I've taken my collection obsession up a notch.
> I've "rescued" a Cray CS6400... and a SparcCenter 2000... uh, and _two_
> 2000E's.  By any measure, that's a pile of iron there, mates.  :-)

you lucky git.  ahh well, old DEC has my heart anyway, so it's ok i guess. ;)

> First up: SSP and software issues.

no clue, sorry.

> Second: Crating + shipping.
>
> For shipping large beasties, is there a general consensus about which
> companies are best?  In a former life I did a lot of shipping and
> receiving (software manufacturing), but I'm wondering of common carriers
> vs. padded van/movers vs. just taking a long weekend and driving down
> (Portland, OR to the Bay Area) with some muscular friends to help lug
> these monsters, which is the way to go?  Any horror stories?  Any high
> praise for a particular carrier?  When I was shipping it was pallets and
> pallets of rubber protective gear (for high-voltage utility work, not THAT
> kind of rubber protective gear :-) and just about all the big carriers did
> a fine job with that stuff.  But for electronics... especially old, heavy
> stuff like this...

i've found that going and getting it yourself is always the best way.  every
time i get something shipped by freight, it's expensive, and i really haven't
been impressed with anyone's handling of said items.  (i'm surprised some of
it even works when i get it)

but either way, going and getting it yourself is far more rewarding that getting
it shipped.  IMO.

> Third: Power.
>
> My whole point in collecting is that my machines (very nearly) all _work_.
> I don't want boxes that just look nifty, I want boxes I can actually use
> and play with.  Of course, my semi-arbitrary limit on power usage is "I
> won't spend more an electricity than on rent..."  Suddenly I may have to
> revise that policy. :-)  To assuage my guilty conscience, I've signed up
> with my local power company to pay extra for "green power" - 100% wind or
> geothermal - I find it highly satisfying to power my old beasts with air
> and steam. :-)

that would be nice, but power is expesive enough around here, but at least it
comes from the nuclear plant down the road so no fossil fuels are being used
up for my stuff (i'm one of those fools who thinks nuclear power is safe)

> But since the 2000E or the CS6400 don't offer "Energy Star" certification
> (wouldn't that be a hoot?) I'm wondering what folks do to cut down their
> energy bills.  Fuel cells?  Solar panels?  Stationary bikes with
> generators? :-)  Or do I just sell sponsorships or banner ads (bwaaaa ha
> ha ha ha ha) to help defray the costs?  Worse, do I just power them up on
> weekends for 'xconq' or MazeWars fests and to inflate my Seti at home scores?
> :-)

i've been giving throughts to "self generated power" to help offset things.
solar is expensive if you aren't heating water.  i wonder how much cheaper fuel
cells would be compared to power company electric.

> Anyway, the first step is clearing out the as-yet-unfinished half of the
> basement and dropping in a new 200A power feed so I can meter the new
> "datacenter" separately.  Then I'll at least be able to accurately measure
> the costs of my obsession.

i do the same thing, only i have one power meter.  my house and water are
heated by home heating oil (evil, but i rent, so what can i do) so really the
only things that draw power are the stove, the dryer and the lights.  and
compared to what my gear pulls?  i know it's a drop in the bucket. ;)

> Sorry for the long post - I've been reading the digest mode for a while,

welcome aboard, and great rescue.

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --