[rescue] Dual Processors and applications

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue May 7 12:39:11 CDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> Scenario:
> A dual processor Unix box (sun or hp).  An application (CAD tool) that was
> not specifically optimized for dual processors.  Will the app take advantage
> of the dual processors?

Will the app truly "take advantage" of that 2nd processor?  No.

HOWEVER...  the OS will use the second processor.  While the app monopolizes
one CPU, the other will be used by the OS for running the machine.  The
difference in noticeable performance probably won't be that big though,
because I'd imagine that the CAD tool would tend to be CPU bound, and not
IO bound.

--Kurt