[rescue] Dual Processors and applications

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Tue May 7 12:38:20 CDT 2002

Even if the application does not, the operating system should (assuming the
application isn't extremely rude). More of the resources of a single CPU can
be dedicated to the application because the other processor can handle other
tasks.

At least that's the theory.

Sometimes it works very well, sometimes not it depends on the situation. If
the OS itself is inefficient with its SMP or the task of the application
itself is a hog for memory bandwidth or other system resources it might
actually be slower on an SMP system.

Ars Technica and Toms Hardware both did recent articles on SMP vs single
proc Intel workstations. ANything that was CPU bound was improved by having
multiple cpu's even if the application wasnt SMP capable. Any tasks that
were primarily bound by memory or system badwidth were either equal or
slightly slower.

Chris Byrne