[rescue] RE: As promised, Sun Spares Pricelist 1997

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue May 7 11:07:54 CDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Chris Byrne wrote:

> Wow, that must've been some seriously powerful stuff they were smokin.

Two notes on this, from someone who was paying obscene amounts for Sun
stuff about then (well, I was working *at* Sun until Aug '97).

1) Most repeat customers wouldn't have paid the list prices. In a previous
incarnation of my job I got 40% off come categories of stuff direct from
Sun.

2) They were smoking the dollars people paid them. People *did* pay this
much, so why wouldn't they charge that much? If you want to pay me $2000
per kit for X7022A memory, why should I give it to you for $20? Sure, you
could go to Dataram or Kingston for the same or better memory (lifetime
warranty instead of 1 year/3 year/5 year), but people liked the flavor of
Sun's grape Kool-Aid(tm).

> I remember paying about $300 for a 128mb simm around that time. They're
> around $15 now.

128MB PC100 is about $26 from Crucial as of 5 minutes ago. I think the
same simm today from Sun is $335/A (370-4294?) because it's "certified"
for the 300mhz and 400mhz SunPCi cards.

> Im sorry but even for 1997, and even being SUN doesnt give you the
> right to gouge THAT much.

Nothing to be sorry about really. Although I still don't completely
understand the smoking thing.

Rob