[rescue] A real rescue

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Tue May 7 03:21:11 CDT 2002

At 09:47 AM 6/05/2002 -0400, Dave wrote:
>On May 6, Robert Rose wrote:
> > I was walking past our asset people today and noticed a truly beautiful
> old
> > DEC being decommissioned.  The only identifying marks (apart from the
> usual
> > asset stickers) I could find were "Digital 4000" on the front/top
> > "430AK-A9" on the back (left hand side) and "KN430-BA" on the CPU
> board.  A
> > quick google shows this model as a 4000/610.
>
>   Wow, that's a pretty serious box.  Not even particularly old, if
>memory serves.

About 10 years methinks.

 >> 2. Any chance of running some reasonably recent and easily obtainable
> > operating system?
>
>   Tru64 or VMS.

Apparently it had DEC Unix 4.0D.  I expressed an interest to the security
person that's doing the decommission (ie. wipe the disks) and he's promised
to involve me in the process.  I realise that DEC has software licenses, so
what do I need to backup/write down before we start?

> > - A few numptys that have seen it will probably be interested for the
> > gee-whiz factor.
>
>   Numptys?

Google for it dude.

>   Hell...I'm interested for the "crunch data" factor. 8-)

OK, so how will it compare to an AlphaServer 400 4/233 ?

>   Why are they decommissioning it?  Suits/Windows?

'Cos it's old and we're cutting down from about 10 different Unixes to
probably 3.

>   Good luck getting the machine...it'll surely be a nice box to have!
>[I sure wish a few of those would turn up around here...  *drool*]

'pends on if I can find room for it in the overstuffed garage.

Rob.