[rescue] Nerd Desks?

CARL.P.HIRSCH at sargentlundy.com CARL.P.HIRSCH at sargentlundy.com
Mon May 6 09:02:48 CDT 2002

Giving geeks a chance to show off their gear is a dangerous thing. :)

I've had really good luck with IKEA's "IVAR" modular shelving. My tech room
is a smallish room in my apartment that doubles as the guest bedroom/living
room with the futon and multimedia stack, so all of the tech gear is
relegated to one wall. Floor to ceiling, it's pretty good density. I've
currently got 5 boxes going into a KVM switch plus an iBook using 802.11
that stores pretty well in a space just above the towers when it's idle.

http://www.hollerdefense.org/superdesk1.jpg
http://www.hollerdefense.org/superdesk2.jpg

The nice thing about the IVAR shelving is that it's modular enough that it
can hold all my books, a monitor (space for more if needed), two
Quadra700s, random towers, a laser printer, etc. What I'd like to do is
incorporate a short 19" rack into the thing since I've got a Cisco AGS+ on
the way. Ideally I'd have a large monitor with direct S-Video inputs so I
could do away with the TV, but watching TV on a 17" monitor doesn't cut it
when I've got guests over. Slashdot posted instructions on building a rack
out of Home Despot materials, I'm hoping I can adapt that into a 4-ft rack
and add another leg to Superdesk for all the rackmount equipment and VCRs
and such.

If density of space weren't such an issue I've probably use dumpstered
steel desks.

-carl