[rescue] Re: FC25 cards for SSA 114

Jeremy RJ Towers jeremy.towers at btopenworld.com
Mon May 6 13:19:25 CDT 2002

Leslie Connally wrote:

>>Why should they top out at anything?  It's just three SCSI buses
>>multiplexed over a single SOC.

actually six busses, two per tray with five disks in each.  One of the
things you had to be careful of when designing raids was not to lose
mirrors if a tray was pulled. This was one of the reasons for replacing
the SSA.

>>Are there perhaps amperage draw on startup issues with the P/S, or cooling
>>issues with the fans ??

the disks are started in sequence.....  cooling might be an issue...

I believe any size disks would work....  The controller has no knowledge
of what size the disk is, it's all SCSI commands.

Sun may only support up to 9 Gb  but supporting is not the same as
working. It is not in Sun's commercial interest to keep testing and
supporting old products IMO.

Ultimately, its a situation where you would have to try it.

Regards

Jeremy