[rescue] A real rescue

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Mon May 6 08:45:11 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 09:47:28AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > quick google shows this model as a 4000/610.
>
>   Wow, that's a pretty serious box.  Not even particularly old, if
> memory serves.

what *is* a 4000/610 (or 4600 as i've also seen)?  i'm assuming it's not a
4100.  what's it look like?  any web page pointers dave?  otherwise, PLEASE
TAKE PICTURES!!!!  ;)

>   It is indeed a funky DEC CPU...An Alpha.

do you know which one?  EV?

>   Tru64 or VMS.

mmmm, VMS.  Tru64 is nice too though.  hmmmm.

>   US vendor prices on that machine range from a few hunred bucks in
> empty-box configs to a few thousand bucks for machines with big
> balls.  Compaq's trade-in allowance is $1500 for that box.

also keep in mind vendor prices are "corporate specific" and are always much
higher than they need to be.

>   Why are they decommissioning it?  Suits/Windows?

most likely.

>   There's no way it's gonna pull that much...Most manufacturers
> grossly overspec those numbers, and DEC does it even more than most.
> Count on 2A if it says 5.

i was just gonna say the same thing.  what's the VAX 6000 rated at?  cause it
sure doesn't pull even close to that without RA disks in it. ;)

>   Good luck getting the machine...it'll surely be a nice box to have!
> [I sure wish a few of those would turn up around here...  *drool*]

yeah, offer what you can afford, if you get it, you will be very happy with
your new toy.  if you don't want it, you should let us all know so we can
fight over it. ;)

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --