[rescue] A real rescue

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Mon May 6 04:48:09 CDT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Robert Rose wrote:

> I was walking past our asset people today and noticed a truly
> beautiful old DEC being decommissioned.  The only identifying marks
> (apart from the usual asset stickers) I could find were "Digital 4000"
> on the front/top "430AK-A9" on the back (left hand side) and
> "KN430-BA" on the CPU board.  A quick google shows this model as a
> 4000/610.
>
> Questions to be answered:
> 1. Is this an Alpha or some funky DEC cpu?

Both.  It's an Alpha, and an Alpha is a funky DEC CPU.

> 2. Any chance of running some reasonably recent and easily obtainable
> operating system?

NetBSD.

> 3. What would be a realistic offer to make for said system given that
> - It's gonna be a bitch to get home.
> - A few numptys that have seen it will probably be interested for the
> gee-whiz factor.
> - The power supply indicates it'll suck 5A @ 240V (remembering of course
> that we're all 240V here).

No idea.  I have never run across one of these machines, myself, so I have
no basis from which to make a comparison.

Peace...  Sridhar

--
"How do you fight such a savage?"

"With heart, faith, and steel.  There can be only one."
	-MacLeod and Ramirez, "Highlander"