[rescue] A real rescue

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Mon May 6 03:37:12 CDT 2002

I was walking past our asset people today and noticed a truly beautiful old
DEC being decommissioned.  The only identifying marks (apart from the usual
asset stickers) I could find were "Digital 4000" on the front/top
"430AK-A9" on the back (left hand side) and "KN430-BA" on the CPU board.  A
quick google shows this model as a 4000/610.

Questions to be answered:
1. Is this an Alpha or some funky DEC cpu?
2. Any chance of running some reasonably recent and easily obtainable
operating system?
3. What would be a realistic offer to make for said system given that
- It's gonna be a bitch to get home.
- A few numptys that have seen it will probably be interested for the
gee-whiz factor.
- The power supply indicates it'll suck 5A @ 240V (remembering of course
that we're all 240V here).

Photos can probably be arranged if required.

Rob.