[rescue] Network Printing Was:(Re: SBE/S)

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Sun May 5 22:36:16 CDT 2002

Dave:

I used to have all my postscript printers connected to lantronix print servers
(even the tektronix, I could never get it's internal ethernet-tcp/ip working), but
since I've setup things here in WV I've gone to connecting the to different Suns
parallel ports. I use the standard Solaris printing system, and it works fine for
me, I can print to any of my printers from any of my machines (even the SunPCi
inside my U30) with this setup, and the only printer I have now that's networked is
my HP1200C/PS, and I might move that over to a sparcstation soon. HP's Jetdirect
software is sort of stupid if you ask me, it's on the network, but the Solaris
Jetdirect software sets up the local sparcstation as the printer's host machine,
and the other machines print to that host, as if the printer was connected via a
parallel port. I can't really see wasting an IP for a printer when all the print
jobs have to go from host A (machine originating print request) to host
B (sparcstation running JetDirect) which then sends it to host C (HP Printer with
JetDirect card), seems like a lot of bouncing around for nothing. I suppose I could
install the JetDirect software on all my machines, so the printer would appear as a
local printer to them all, but to my mind, that's stupid too. Am I missing
something regarding JetDirect?

-Mike

            +------------------------------+          (/**\)
            | I'm outstanding in my field! |\        ((o  o))___
PGP fingerprint: D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74
Email: schiller at nospam.agrijag.com          http://www.agrijag.com
Voice: 304-334-3951                          FAX: 304-334-3644