[rescue] Re: SBE/S

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun May 5 22:33:45 CDT 2002

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:27:38PM -0400, Michael Schiller wrote:
> I've got 2 color printers, an HP1200C/PS and a Tektronix Phaser IIIpxi.
> Both printers are technically 300dpi, however the HP does appear to have
> nicer approximation of continuous tone than the Tek. Having said that,
> the Tek has MUCH nicer color saturation, and while pictures printed on
> it have much more of the 'printed on a computer' look to them, the HP
> tends to make pictures that look muddy. Between the 2, I use the HP much
> more, mainly because it can sit turned on all the time, and it prints out
> much faster than the Tek, but whenever I print out something that I want
> to really look good, or plan to keep for a while, I turn on the tek, wait
> the 20 minutes for it to warm up, and print with it. If it didn't draw so
> much power, and generate SO much heat (even in it's 'power saver' mode) I
> would use the tektronix more. Of course, because the tektronix uses wax ink
> sticks that to me look an a lot like crayons, I usually refer to it as my
> 'crayon printer', and pictures printed on it as 'done with crayons' :)

I've used a wax Tektronix at one place I worked, and I wasn't so impressed.
In my dream world, I'd have a nice cheap to operate, high resolution color
laser (and barring that, a really nice B&W one), and additionally a nice
ink jet or dye sub printer capable of large format work.  The HP1200C is
starting to get to what I mean, but would prefer something large still.
Iris printers are nice, but yeah right, I'll ever have one.

Also, it would be cool to have a small printing press.

Have you ever tried feeding water color paper or other very heavy stock
through your 1200C?

--
Joshua D. Boyd