[rescue] Nerd Desks?

Nathaniel Grady nate at nategrady.hn.org
Sun May 5 13:41:15 CDT 2002

[what's a good 'puter desk]

My desk fits 4 computers/monitors just fine, and could fit more. Take a 4x8 sheet of plywood (i actually used 2 pieces of luan (not spelled right - smooth-topped underlayment stuff), cut in half to make 4x4 sections. Put 2x4's aroudn the bottom and accross the middle like such (also showing how i put desks in room):
WALL-----------------------------
 ---------      ---------
W| B |M K|      |K M| W |
|            -you go here --Or here

(another pair at 45 degrees would probably be better, but it's plenty sturdy as is and it saves making any annoying joints)

Then I used virtical 2x4's for the legs by screwing them with large bolts into the ledge on the inside of the sides. Put a 45degree base about 1' long on the legs on the sides (don't want to run into them with your chair). I have another shorter desk underneath (it's just a cheep metal bottomed drafting table from Hills, could build someting much better actually). Make 2 of said desks. Place against wall with room between them for your chair. Voila, 4 computers around you (2 in front, 2 in back), room for headless boxen on the table behind the monitors and/or normal writing desk space. I have mine so that one is in a corner so you can put computers behind the monitors on one and writing area on the other. I indicated the computer area as "BLA", monitors as M, keyboards as K, writing/study area as WRT and the person as O. It was really easy to make as funiture goes. A little imagniation would drastically improve it by adding a computer shelf behind it to stack machines better (i don't have enought to worry 'bout it), re-orient it so that you put another computer on the outside edge. If i were to do it again, i would probably pull both away from the wall, and put a middle section in so the middle area was a U shaped work area. A little imagination and a weekend is the only way to get a good computer desk :)

-- Nathaniel Grady
   /*\              ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
   \ /              - AGAINST HTML EMAIL
    X               - AGAINST MS ATTACHMENTS
   / \