[rescue] Nerd Desks?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun May 5 11:45:00 CDT 2002

On May 5, Chad Fernandez wrote:
> Do you mean those folding tables often used in offices?  I have one that
> is worthless.  I bought an 8 footer, thinking I'd have plenty of room
> for computers.  However, it's built so cheaply that even a PC will make
> it sag in the middle.

  I use those tables exclusively for my desk and electronics
workbenches; I have five of them in my office.  One of them sags a bit
but the others are great, even the one with Very Fucking Heavy
equipment like a Hewlett-Packard 8505A network analyzer (RF networks,
not computer networks) on it.

  There are several manufacturers' tables floating around (also called
catering tables, church tables, and several other names); some of them
suck but others are excellent.  Just look at them before you buy
them...make sure they have metal rails running the length of the table
to contribute stiffness to the [otherwise useless] particle board, and
make sure said rails are securely fastened to said particle board.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                                 "Mmmm.  Big."
St. Petersburg, FL                                -Den