[rescue] Nerd Desks?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat May 4 19:11:31 CDT 2002

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Torquil MacCorkle III wrote:

> I know a lot of us have 10 or more networked computers at home and 5 or more
> monitors. I am wondering what everyone uses as a desk for this. I would like
> all my machines and monitors and keyboards located at one desk, and it seems
> all the desks you see are designed for 1-2 computers. (Please, if possible
> include pictures of your setup).

Back at my first job, the network administrator had a really neat
solution, but it might not work in a house due to the way that builders
are skimping on studs these days.

His office was approximately ten feet by ten feet, maybe a little smaller.
His solution was to find all the studs in the walls and mount wooden
L-brackets such that one leg was perpendicular to the floor, and the other
perpendicular to the wall at the point of the stud.  I think he ran some
beams between the L-brackets for stability.

Then he got -really- thick (1.5 inches, I think--they were a bitch to haul
upstairs) pieces of pressed wood with the top surface and inside edge
coated in Formica Surell and mounted them to the L-brackets with wood
screws.

The result was a work surface that wrapped all the way around his office,
with plenty of room for deskside computers underneath.  It was sturdy and
attractive.  He ended up drilling some holes in the work area near the
wall for cables and such, but it worked out really well.

Bookshelves were mounted above and a file cabinet or two found its way
below.  It turned into a geek's dream desk with room for lots of
computers, books, a phone switch, and a printer.  It helped that he had an
air conditioning duct under it, as well.

--Jonathan